Substance abuse has numerous detrimental effects not only for an individual, but also for his or her family. It can lead to substance dependence, and later, substance addiction. In a church setting, it can create a disturbing ripple throughout a congregation. This 25-minute course is designed to help you learn about substance abuse, how to recognize the potential warning signs of abuse, and how you can help address the issue in a church environment.
- Define the types of substances that people most commonly abuse
- Learn some statistics regarding substance abuse in the United States
- Identify and know more about the effects of substance abuse in the lives of those who abuse them, whether those substances are legal, prescription, or illegal
- Know more about your role and responsibility to educate, recognize, and take action to help those who abuse substances seek recovery, healing, and restoration
Key Topics Include:
- What is Substance Abuse?
- What is at Stake?
- Substance Abuse at Home
- Why Substance Abuse Should Matter to Churches
- Alcohol Abuse
- Legal vs. Illegal Substances
- Types of Substances: Depressants, Stimulants, Hallucinogens
- What Can a Church Do to Help?
- Warning Signs of Substance Abuse
- Clergy who Abuse Substances
- Some Do’s and Don’ts
- Do You Have a Substance Abuse Problem?
RETURN TO THE COURSE LIST