As individuals involved in ministry, we play an important role in providing safe gathering places for all God’s children, youth, and vulnerable adults. In addition, we strive to maintain an environment that protects the integrity of all who serve. These are our spiritual, moral, and legal responsibilities. We must do everything in our power to prevent physical, emotional, and sexual abuse against children, youth, and vulnerable adults involved in our ministries.
It is our hope that this training will equip you with information to make wise decisions about your own and others’ behavior while caring for and serving with vulnerable populations in a variety of ministry settings.
Time: Approximately 1.5-2 hours
- Prevent abuse within ministry settings, inside and outside the walls of the church, and ensure that all children, youth, and vulnerable adults (persons over 18 years of age with physical, mental, or developmental disabilities) have safe and secure gathering places.
- Raise awareness of the importance of abuse prevention. By acknowledging that abuse exists everywhere, including within churches, we can focus on providing environments that will help keep our most vulnerable people safe.
- Establish and communicate transparency and accountability in ministry by keeping the door open to dialogue and discussion on tough subjects such as abuse and abuse prevention within the church and its surrounding community.
- Provide training and best practices guidelines to all clergy, staff, and volunteers who serve with children, youth, and vulnerable adults—to protect those populations as well as those who serve them.
- Equip those serving in ministry settings with information to make responsible decisions about their own and others’ behavior around vulnerable populations, and provide the necessary knowledge to responsibly report when abuse is suspected.
- Training: The Why Behind It
- Know the Definitions
- Keep a Watchful Eye
- Safer Places and Practices
- Practice Safety Off-Site
- Take Action
- Understand the Consequences
- Online Ministry Best Practices
- Conclusion and Test for Review
RETURN TO THE COURSE LIST